What is a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)?
Desktop virtualization enables mobile work styles and simplifies IT administration by allowing an enterprise to host their desktop operating system on a virtual machine located within a centralized server. Virtual desktops essentially run from the data center and are delivered to the end-user on any desktop, thin client, or BYO mobile device.
What does VDI bring to the table?
For end-users this means access to their desktop and applications from anywhere– improving productivity and making it easy to find what they need when they need it. The benefits of a virtual desktop environment don’t stop with the end-user. Desktop virtualization has significant advantages for IT departments as well, giving them the ability to centrally manage and secure enterprise desktops and applications in one image (or a few variations of one image.)
Is VDI for you?
IT departments and end-users alike benefit from increased productivity and enhanced security when the decision is made to roll out a virtual desktop environment. Below, we’ll take you through ten benefits of virtualization with Citrix’s XenDesktop with HDX (High Definition Experience) to help you make the right decision when it comes to desktop virtualization.
10 Benefits of XenDesktop 7 with HDX
- XenDesktop 7 with HDX technologies boasts a high-definition user experience that rivals local PCs regardless of what device and connection type you are using. With the power of Citrix Receiver, users have the ability to access their desktop, files, and applications from anywhere on any corporate or BYO device.
- Citrix XenDesktop allows for real-time image updates taking the headache out IT administration
- New with XenDesktop 7 the Local Application Access feature allows you to seamlessly integrate users’ locally installed applications into a XenDesktop without changing from virtual to physical computer. With local app access, you can:
- Access applications installed on the local PC such as Windows Media player, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Mozilla, or any other app that doesn’t “play nice” on your virtual desktop.
- Use local applications like iTunes, GoToMeeting or even AutoCAD to easily manage video, flash, internet browser and other CPU/memory intensive applications.
- XenDesktop 7 with HDX has optimized integration with popular Unified Communication vendors like Microsoft Lync, Citrix GoToMeeting, Cisco, and Avaya for smooth audio and video collaboration.
- XenDesktop 7 features powerful profile management capability and real-time synchronization of user files with Citrix ShareFile allowing for the fastest login times possible.
- Citrix XenDesktop 7 with HDX delivers a high-definition virtual voice, video, and multimedia experience that’s bandwidth-efficient, including use of USB peripherals and 3D graphics.
- XenDesktop 7 with HDX improves the mobile experience by allowing IT to optimize Windows applications accessed through the Citrix Receiver for touch-screen use, giving a mobile-native appearance
- Citrix XenDesktop supports a comprehensive Disaster Recovery strategy by saving all components in the data center so there’s always a back-up of your data on the server.
- Enhances security – lost devices no longer contain confidential material because data is stored on the server not the device.
- Your XenDesktop is built from scratch and is fully customizable to the needs of your organization and different functions within it.
Contact Cornerstone for more information or a live demo of the features of Citrix XenDesktop 7 with HDX.